History of Hotel Glencairn
HOTEL GLENCAIRN - Built and est. 1905
DEEP SOUTH EATERY AT HOTEL GLENCAIRN est. 2020
Built in 1904-1905 by Scottish architect, John Parker (1866-1921) the Glencairn Hotel has survived much adversity over the years. After seeing great success between the 1920s and 1940s, the building became dilapidated and run down until being rescued in the late 50’s. It was then renamed the Glen Andida Hotel, after the Great Dane that was married to Just Nuisance, the famous Simon’s Town Navy Dog and the very elegant restaurant was named Wilhelmina’s, after their pup.
After WW2, the Resident’s Lounge was turned into a Ladies Bar which saw huge success. The small horseshoe-shaped bar survived the times and resides on our veranda to welcome our guests and remind us of the many stories this building holds.
Out of 18 hotels in the area, the Glencairn Hotel was one of two that survived and in 2020 was blessed with another complete renovation which you are witnessing to today.
The hotel has long been rumoured as one of the most haunted sites in the southern peninsula. Two ghosts have been seen and heard many times over the years; a noisy young blonde-haired boy of around 6 years of age, thought to be David Scott who likes to stamp his feet and throw things around from time to time. The other is a middle-aged lady thought to be his mother, Renee. She has been spotted carrying a Victorian-style candle holder and is often seen sitting at the bottom of our Swedish Mahogany staircase, which has been here since the hotel was built.
We heard that the young boy enjoys playing pranks on people, rattling door knobs and moving furniture around so if you do encounter him, he responds well to being told to ‘shut up’ if he gets a little too rowdy.
If anyone does have any information about the hotel and our wandering spirits, please get in touch!
Watch this space for the update on the renovation project that only took four months in 2020 and re-opened in Nov 2020.